Windows 7 End of Life
January 14, 2020
Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end.
After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, and we’re here to help you and to answer questions about Windows 7 end of support.
What does end of support mean? When Windows 7 reaches end of support on January 14, 2020, your computer will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:
- Technical support for any issues
- Software updates
- Security updates or patches
Are You a Business or Enterprise?
While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it’s not recommended.
We’re recommending new computers to go to Windows 10, and as you hopefully know from browsing this site, we’re not trying to sell you new computers. There’s no mark-up or middleman with EB Micro. We’ll spec your new computers, you buy direct, and we’ll help you to deploy them.
Windows 10 Pro licenses cost $200 per computer. That’s money better spent on a faster machine that comes preloaded with Windows 10.
What can you do to prepare?
- Back up your files and photos to the cloud, or to an external hard drive
- Shop for PC’s to find the right match for your workload
- We recommend Dell Computers
Will my Windows 7 computer stop working on January 14, 2020?
- No. Support for Windows 7 will be discontinued, but the software will continue to function. After January 14, 2020, if your computer is running Windows 7, it will no longer receive security updates. Therefore, it’s important that you move to a modern operating system such as Windows 10, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer. In addition, Microsoft customer service will no longer be available to provide Windows 7 technical support.
How do I get Windows 10?
- You can purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro for your Windows 7 PC. However, the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. Today’s computers are faster and more powerful and come with Windows 10 already installed.
Can I upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free?
- There was a promotional free upgrade offer available when Windows 10 first released, but that offer expired July 29, 2016. You can purchase and download Windows 10 on your device today. Although, if your computer is more than three years old, it might be time to consider upgrading to a new device. We would love to help you find a computer that’s faster, safer, and delivers the new features Windows 10 has to offer before your current PC slows you down.
Why should I consider a new computer?
PC’s originally built with Windows 7 are running 10-year-old technology. Windows 10 has many of the same features and capabilities from Windows 7 built into the experience. Once you move to a new PC, there will be many aspects of the experience that you will find familiar, but also with important innovations and capabilities that were not available ten years ago. Checkout these innovative new features available with Windows 10 on a new device:
- Newer PC hardware that is faster, more capable, and more compatible with the latest industry technology.
- To help you keep your device secure, you can take advantage of the latest security capabilities:
- Get built-in security at no extra cost. Your Windows device comes with built-in security features, including firewall and internet protections to help safeguard against viruses, malware, and ransomware.
- Sign in three times faster and forget your password.6 Just use your face or fingerprint, to securely and instantly unlock your computer.
- Enjoy a new way to interact with Windows beyond your mouse and keyboard. Most of us are familiar with touchscreens on our phones, and now many new PCs have a touchscreen on a new Windows 10 computer. With the touchscreen, you can also utilize pen technology to write and markup documents and websites. Touchscreens and pens allow you to zoom in, zoom out, quickly scroll, and sign documents.
- The Photos app automatically organizes and tags your photos. Searching for photos is easy and fun. Looking for pictures you took at the beach? Just type “beach” into the search bar and all your beach photos appear.
How is Windows 10 security better than Windows 7?
- Windows 10 is the most secure Windows ever built, with comprehensive end-to-end security that covers antivirus, firewall, internet protections, and more. This means more security features, dashboard displays, and ongoing updates to help safeguard against future threats—all built-in at no extra cost.
Which version of Windows 10 is right for me?
- There are multiple versions of Windows 10, so whether your PC is for personal, professional, or educational use, there’s a perfect match for you
- Windows 10 Home is the perfect operating system for personal and household use, while Windows 10 Pro offers all the familiar features of Windows 10 Home, plus additional features such as BitLocker, remote desktop, and domain join to support professionals
- For individuals seeking enhanced security and performance in and outside the office, there is Windows 10 in S mode. Windows 10 in S mode keeps you running fast and more secure day in and day out, by only using verified apps from the Microsoft Store.
How do I transfer my personal files to a new computer?
- It’s easy to bring your files and photos to a new PC using a cloud storage service. With internet access and a few clicks, you can back up and protect your files online in the cloud and then, when you’re ready, sync onto a new PC. Syncing the files between your new PC and the cloud allows you to store the file locally for offline use when you don’t have internet access as well as on the cloud service, where you can restore them if something happens. Cloud storage services can automatically keep the two versions in sync as changes are made.
Can I move my shortcuts and IE favorites to a new PC?
- If you’re moving to a new Windows 10 PC, you can easily move your Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer favorites by exporting and importing, or syncing, which is fully automatic.
Does Windows 10 support the use of a digital pen or stylus?
- Yes. Windows 10 features our innovative and responsive Windows Ink technology that empowers you with a pen that flows as fast as your ideas. Draw, take notes, navigate, and doodle: tap into your creative potential and power productivity with Windows Ink. Windows Ink is only available on pen-capable tablets and PC’s. The digital pen may be sold separately.
How do I sign into Windows 10 without a password?
- Unlock your Windows 10 device with our password-free sign-in capability, Windows Hello. Use your face, fingerprint, or companion device2 to unlock your Windows 10 computer in the fastest, most secure way. On devices that support Windows Hello, users can automatically bypass the login screen without typing a password.
Have more questions?
Get more information about end of support for Windows 7 and how to make the move to Windows 10 before your systems become vulnerable. Give us a call!
Microsoft Windows 10 Related Products & Solutions
- Surface Pro X
- Surface Laptop 3
- Surface Pro 7
- Windows 10 Apps
- Office365 Apps
- Microsoft Store
- Windows 10 Account Profile
- Download Center
- Microsoft Store Support
- Office 365 for Small Business
- Office 365 for Enterprise
- Office 365 for Solopreneurs
- Office 365 for Schools
- Microsoft Azure in Education
- Enterprise Azure
- Verticals: Automotive, Government, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Small Business (SMB), Retail, Developers
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Windows Dev Center
- Developer Network
- Microsoft Developer Program
- Channel 9
- Office Dev Center
- Microsoft Garage
- Windows 10 Security Features